“All I did was….” Lower back pain will often be blamed on something as simple as bending down to pick something up the wrong way, sitting or standing too much, sleeping in an awkward position – That is not what caused the back symptom; that is just the tip of the iceberg.
Back pains can be painful, debilitating and persistent, and many people will suffer repeated episodes. It is estimated that approximately 80% of adults will experience pain/discomfort in their lower back at some point in their lifetime.
While taking painkillers or muscle relaxants may provide some relief, it is usually only a temporary solution and does not fix the underlying cause. The medication often treats the symptoms, not the problem, so the pain comes back after the medication has worn off. It is similar to putting a temporary bandage over a wound until you get it seen by a professional to treat it correctly.
People will experience back pain for all sorts of reasons such as:
- The way we sit or stand on a daily basis.
- Our work or lifestyle can cause a buildup of stress and strain on our backs.
- Prolonged stress can cause tension to the muscles of our back.
- An old injury that was left untreated.
- Gradual ‘wear and tear’ over time can cause many issues.
There are a number of different symptoms associated with lower back pain, such as:
- It may present as a dull or intense ache in the small of the back.
- It can also be associated with other symptoms, such as leg pain or sciatica. Such as a burning or stinging sensation across the lower back, sometimes travelling down one or both legs.
- Muscle spasms and tightness in the lower back, pelvis and hips may occur.
- Some may suffer from severe lower back pain symptoms; others can present with more chronic examples.
The good news is you can take immediate steps to alleviate pain, release tension, ease tightness to help prevent future episodes. This can be done through chiropractic care; together with a combination of specific stretches, core strengthening moves, and gentle low back and pelvis movements which support the entire body.
The spine is central to chiropractic care. As a result, Chiropractors are highly experienced and successful in identifying the causes of low back pain and providing lower back pain relief.
However, Chiropractors can’t do all the work alone. Laura, here at Mern Chiropractic, believes that if you don’t add a specific lower back programme to address the issue, it may continue to be triggered and worsened by the everyday irritations which may have caused the issue in the first place. The reassuring news is that this type of discomfort can often be relieved in as little as 10-15 minutes a day with the right stretching and strengthening routine bespoke to your diagnosis.
Although it can be very painful, back pain rarely has a serious underlying cause. Seeing a qualified health professional, such as a chiropractor, who is experienced in diagnosing conditions of the back and spine, can help treat back pain, and also identify if a referral or further specific investigations are needed.
If you are suffering from back issues and feel that chiropractic care may be of benefit then please give us a call on 07469205041 where we can arrange a consultation to see Laura.
Mern Chiropractic offers two clinic locations: *160 Causewayside, Edinburgh EH9 1PR. *23-25 Westmain Street, Uphall, West Lothian EH52 5DN. Both clinics are run within Omnicare Pharmacy.